Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Jack started Kindergarten today! :-(

Well, the day started off great. Jack was so excited. He looked adorable. Jeff and I both stayed home to get him on the bus. We waited on the front porch until we saw the bus and then he went to the driveway and waited to get on. I swear, 10 minutes before the bus got there, he looked so old and big and then immediately looked so little. I had told him that he would be sitting in the front of the bus and the bus driver would talk to him when he got on. Well, Jeff and I stood up by the garage and he got on. The bus driver just said HI and then Jack started walking and had to go all the way to the back. Not a big deal but I felt like he was not prepared for that and searching for a seat. I immediately started crying. I immediately jumped in the van to get to school to take pics of him getting off the bus and going to class. Yesterday at orientation, his teacher told us where the bus would drop them off and it was right by the Kindergarten classrooms. We practiced the route so he'd know where to go. Well, I barely got to the school in time to take pics of him getting off the bus. I couldn't even get up to the bus before it stopped and opened its door. Unfortunately, it stopped at a different door further away from the Kindergarten classes. So, I took some pics from further away and then went in the door that we thought Jack would go in. I waited for a while and then started headed towards the direction that Jack came in. As I was walking that way, Jack came around the corner holding a teachers hand crying his eyes out. He didn't even see me and I figured he was just missing us or something. So, I went up to them and he just looked at me. The teacher said he got off the bus and got confused following the other kids (since he was one of the last ones off). He started to cry and went up to her and said "I'm lost and I'm in Mrs. Faulkenberg's class." When she told me that (and as I sit here and type this) I immediately started to tear up. We just talked to Jack and the teacher told him he did such a great job. We got to the Kindergarten area and she told Jack her name and said she'd come back and visit him later. When we finally got to his classroom, his teacher just looked and me and I told her what happened. This whole time, Jack isn't saying anything and just crying a little. His teacher told him he did the right thing and that now that he's had a tour of the school, he's ready to have fun in her class. He picked out his seat and I asked the little boy next to him his name (Ethan) and introduced Jack to him. He was trying hard not to cry but was just shrugging his shoulders from crying. He sat down and I said "can I take your picture?" He looked up at me and tried to smile. I told him I had to leave and hugged him and said I'd be back soon. He just sat there very quiet and never said a word and tried not to cry. My heart was breaking for him. I cannot stop crying here at work. I cannot wait to get back and get him. I prayed that the first day of everything would go off without a hitch. I'm a little worried about tomorrow now...

No comments: